Figures from a recent poll conducted by Nissan have shown a massive 72% of those drivers interviewed found it difficult to concentrate on driving whilst their children misbehaved in the car.
But the figures went further with 40% declaring how their driving was unsafe because of the distractions. It meant these parent drivers would occasionally take their eyes off the road and their hands of the wheel.
Reported driving “mishaps” included:
- Running red lights
- Forgetting to indicate
- Breaking suddenly
- Swerving across lanes
- Being forced to stop the car
The highest rate of distractions include:
- Loud and heated arguments between siblings/friends
- Crying / screaming tantrums
- Kicking the back of the driver’s seat
- Undoing their seatbelts
- Throwing toys around the car
It may come as a surprise when parental drivers arrive late at their destination and/or in a bad mood. Travelling with badly behaved child passengers has been cited as a cause of road rage with other road users and arguments between adults within the same car.
Some parents have taken to avoiding motorways in an event to drive on less potentially dangerous roads. Other parents admitted to using distraction methods with the children by letting them use tablets in the back of the car or bribing them with sweets.
Following this data, Nissan has come up with 9 suggestions to give parental drivers a better chance of a less distracting drive.
- Plan ahead and avoid unnecessary stops
- Allocate time for frequent toilet breaks
- Try different types of music in the car and find out which keeps them the calmest
- Use in-car entertainment
- Let the kids have a small role in planning the journey
- Stock up on nutritious snacks to keep the hunger pangs at bay. Avoid sugary sweets and drinks
- Take their favourite cuddly toy with them as they are more likely to fall asleep with it
- Drive with your children’s routine in mind. If they have a nap time, this may be a good time to drive as they are quieter when they are asleep (sic)
- Make sure your car is safe to drive. There is nothing worse than breaking down at the side of the road with disgruntled children.
About Carl Millar
Carl Millar is a highly respected and experienced drink driving solicitor who is the principal of Millars Solicitors.
Carl has been a specialist in road traffic law for many years and represents clients from all walks of life and all over the Country. He is well known for the dogged defending of his clients and robust cross examination of police officers and exert witnesses.
With a wealth of expertise in motoring law Carl is well placed to provide advice over the phone and deal with all road traffic matters in a calm and professional way.
Getting in contact with Carl and Millars Solicitors is really easy. You can call him FREE on 0800 999 5535 or in an emergency you can call on 07732 054827.